Item Details

Print View

Department of Medicine Housestaff and Chief Residents Photograph Collection 1951-2012.

University of Virginia. Health System
Format
Visual Materials; Manuscript/Archive
Language
Materials in English
Related Resources
View online
Access Restriction
Collection is open to research.
Summary
This collection consists of 178 folders containing photographs from the University of Virginia Department of Medicine (DOM). Images include Housestaff and faculty group photographs (1957-2008), Chief Resident group photographs (1973-2012), and individual Chief Resident portraits (1951-1999). Additional images include two undated group photographs of DOM Department Chairs and a photograph commemorating a class award given to the Class of 1993. The images provide a visual history of the department over a span of six decades. Subjects in the Chief Resident portraits are identified, and some individuals in the group photographs are also identified, though many are unidentified at this time. The images were created by various photographers hired by the University of Virginia Health System.
Description
4 boxes
Cite as
Department of Medicine Housestaff and Chief Residents Photograph Collection, Accession #MS 62, Historical Collections, Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
Arrangement
Arrangement Materials are grouped by category and arranged in folders by chronology.
Terms of Use
No use restrictions.
Biographical Note
The University of Virginia (UVA) School of Medicine's Department of Medicine, first called the "School of Internal Medicine" was established by Dr. Richard Henry Whitehead, a 1887 graduate of the UVA School of Medicine. Dr. Whitehead became Dean of the School of Medicine in 1905 and reorganized the medical program at UVA soon after his arrival out of a desire to improve facilities and clinical training, hoping to enhance the quality of medical education at UVA. Part of the reorganization included creating separate departments for internal medicine, obstetrics, and pathology. Dr. John Staige Davis was designated the first chairman of the Department of Medicine (then called the School of Internal Medicine) in 1906. Dr. Davis was succeeded as chairman by Dr. James C. Flippin (1927-1939), Dr. Harvey E. Jordan (1939), and Dr. Eugene N. Landis (1939-1943). Dr. Henry Beardon Mulholland served as chairman of the Department of Medicine through the end of World War II and the immediate post-war period (1943-1949), during which time the number of residency applicants to the department greatly increased. Dr. William Parson chaired the department from 1949-1966, a period of significant growth for the entire School of Medicine, including a steady increase in faculty positions and salaries. Dr. Parson was followed by brief tenures of Dr. Byrd S. Leavell (1966-1968) and Dr. Daniel Mohler (1968-1969). In 1969 Dr. Edward W. Hook was appointed chairman of the department. Dr. Hook?s twenty-one year term also saw substantial expansions; in 1969 there were 41 faculty members in the School of Medicine, including 7 full professors, 16 associate professors, and 18 assistant professors. By 1978 there would be 35 full professors, 17 associate professors, and 39 assistant professors, a total of 91 faculty members. In light of this growth, Dr. Hook created subspecialty groups within the Department of Medicine, designating each a separate and semi-autonomous division of the department. Dr. Hook was followed as chair of the department by Dr. John C. Marshall (1991-1996), Dr. Munsey S. Wheby (1996-1997), Michael O. Thorner (1997-2006), Robert M. Strieter (2006-2010), and Mitchell H. Rosner (2010-present, 2014). Throughout this time the Department of Medicine?s Internal Medicine residency program has consistently attracted top resident candidates from across the country. The hospital's Housestaff consists of the current group of medical residents, interns, and fellows who are both working in the hospital and receiving additional specialized training from medical faculty members. The Housestaff of the Department of Medicine has grown tremendously over the years; in 1920 there was only one resident in the department, that number increased to fifty-four by 1975. During the 1940s residents were led by one Chief Resident; in 1951 the number of Chief Residents was increased to two. In 2014 the Department of Medicine Housestaff included nearly 100 individuals, including four Chief Residents.
Technical Details
  • Access in Virgo Classic
  • Staff View

    LEADER 04986nkcaa2200277Ia 4500
    001 u6697722
    003 SIRSI
    008 040320k19512012 xx |000||eng|dd
    040
      
      
    a| VAM e| dacs c| VAM
    049
      
      
    a| VAMB
    110
    2
      
    a| University of Virginia. b| Health System, e| creator.
    245
    1
    0
    a| Department of Medicine housestaff and chief residents photograph collection, f| 1951-2012.
    300
      
      
    a| 4 boxes
    351
      
      
    a| Arrangement Materials are grouped by category and arranged in folders by chronology.
    506
      
      
    a| Collection is open to research.
    520
    2
      
    a| This collection consists of 178 folders containing photographs from the University of Virginia Department of Medicine (DOM). Images include Housestaff and faculty group photographs (1957-2008), Chief Resident group photographs (1973-2012), and individual Chief Resident portraits (1951-1999). Additional images include two undated group photographs of DOM Department Chairs and a photograph commemorating a class award given to the Class of 1993. The images provide a visual history of the department over a span of six decades. Subjects in the Chief Resident portraits are identified, and some individuals in the group photographs are also identified, though many are unidentified at this time. The images were created by various photographers hired by the University of Virginia Health System.
    545
      
      
    a| The University of Virginia (UVA) School of Medicine's Department of Medicine, first called the "School of Internal Medicine" was established by Dr. Richard Henry Whitehead, a 1887 graduate of the UVA School of Medicine. Dr. Whitehead became Dean of the School of Medicine in 1905 and reorganized the medical program at UVA soon after his arrival out of a desire to improve facilities and clinical training, hoping to enhance the quality of medical education at UVA. Part of the reorganization included creating separate departments for internal medicine, obstetrics, and pathology. Dr. John Staige Davis was designated the first chairman of the Department of Medicine (then called the School of Internal Medicine) in 1906. Dr. Davis was succeeded as chairman by Dr. James C. Flippin (1927-1939), Dr. Harvey E. Jordan (1939), and Dr. Eugene N. Landis (1939-1943). Dr. Henry Beardon Mulholland served as chairman of the Department of Medicine through the end of World War II and the immediate post-war period (1943-1949), during which time the number of residency applicants to the department greatly increased. Dr. William Parson chaired the department from 1949-1966, a period of significant growth for the entire School of Medicine, including a steady increase in faculty positions and salaries. Dr. Parson was followed by brief tenures of Dr. Byrd S. Leavell (1966-1968) and Dr. Daniel Mohler (1968-1969). In 1969 Dr. Edward W. Hook was appointed chairman of the department. Dr. Hook?s twenty-one year term also saw substantial expansions; in 1969 there were 41 faculty members in the School of Medicine, including 7 full professors, 16 associate professors, and 18 assistant professors. By 1978 there would be 35 full professors, 17 associate professors, and 39 assistant professors, a total of 91 faculty members. In light of this growth, Dr. Hook created subspecialty groups within the Department of Medicine, designating each a separate and semi-autonomous division of the department. Dr. Hook was followed as chair of the department by Dr. John C. Marshall (1991-1996), Dr. Munsey S. Wheby (1996-1997), Michael O. Thorner (1997-2006), Robert M. Strieter (2006-2010), and Mitchell H. Rosner (2010-present, 2014). Throughout this time the Department of Medicine?s Internal Medicine residency program has consistently attracted top resident candidates from across the country. The hospital's Housestaff consists of the current group of medical residents, interns, and fellows who are both working in the hospital and receiving additional specialized training from medical faculty members. The Housestaff of the Department of Medicine has grown tremendously over the years; in 1920 there was only one resident in the department, that number increased to fifty-four by 1975. During the 1940s residents were led by one Chief Resident; in 1951 the number of Chief Residents was increased to two. In 2014 the Department of Medicine Housestaff included nearly 100 individuals, including four Chief Residents.
    524
      
      
    a| Department of Medicine Housestaff and Chief Residents Photograph Collection, Accession #MS 62, Historical Collections, Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
    540
      
      
    a| No use restrictions.
    546
      
      
    a| Materials in English.
    610
    2
    0
    a| University of Virginia. b| School of Medicine x| Faculty.
    610
    2
    0
    a| University of Virginia. b| School of Medicine x| Students.
    856
    4
    2
    u| http://ead.lib.virginia.edu/vivaxtf/view?docID=uva-hs/viuh00062.xml
    596
      
      
    a| 19
    999
      
      
    a| MS-62 w| HS-ASIS i| 6697722-1001 l| RARESHL m| HEALTHSCI t| MANUSCRIPT
▾See more
▴See less

Availability

Library Location Map Availability Call Number
Health Sciences Rare Shelves N/A Available Non-Circ.