- Item Actions
The Early Italian Poets From Ciullo d'Alcamo to Dante Alighieri (1100-1200-1300): In the Original Metres : Together With Dante's Vita Nuova .
translated by D.G. Rossetti
- Book; Online
- xxxvi, 451 p. ; 19 cm.
- London : [s.n.], 1861 ([London] : Chiswick Press, Printed by Whittingham and Wilkins, Tooks Court, Chancery Lane)
- Italian (translated from)
- pt. I. Poets chiefly before Dante
- pt. II Dante and his circle.
- One of at least 6 proof copies, described by Rossetti in an undated letter to William Allingham: "I am sending you by book post with this a sewed copy of my book. I have only just got a few, and do not offer it to you en permanence in this state, as I am going to make an etching, or perhaps two, for it, and there is another index to come at the end, but had 6 copies sent me now to use in getting a publisher, etc." Cf. Fredeman article described below.
- For an in-depth discussion of the history of the publication of "Early Italian poets," see the article by William E. Fredeman, in Bibliographical notes & queries, Book Collector, v. 10, 1961, p. 193-198. Another article by Charles Cox and Simon Nowell-Smith, identifying even more cancelled leaves, appeared in Book Collector, v. 25, no. 4, Winter, 1976, p. 547-548.
- This copy has the uncancelled leaves E6 (p. 59-60), F2 (p. 67-68) and H4 (p. 103-4) and cancellans for B2 (p. 3-4), B6 (p. 11-12), and H1 (p. 97-8) bound in. It is accompanied by a separate packet containing half-title and the new un-illustrated title page with Smith, Elder & Co. imprint, cancellans for leaves E6, F2 and H4, and a reissue of the last gathering GG (p. 449-464) which includes index, with printer's imprint moved from p. 451 to 464. Inscribed on half-title "To Harry Ward Esq. with friendly regards. D.G. Rossetti. Xmas /61."
- Issued in 1874, in rearranged form, under title: Dante and his circle.
- "List of the works which have chiefly contributed to the materials of the present volume": p. xi-xii.
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Errata pencilled inside back cover. Contemporary morocco; spine detached. In blue morocco clamshell box. Copies of the cited articles are laid in box. Robert and Virginia Tunstall Trust Fund and Robert Tunstall Fund, 2004/2005.
- Technical Details