- Item Actions
Hau Kiou Choaan: Or, the Pleasing History
a translation from the Chinese language. To which are added, I. The argument or story of a Chinese play, II. A collection of Chinese proverbs, and III. Fragments of Chinese poetry in four volumes with notes
- Book; Online
- 4 v. : fold. fronts. ; 16 cm.
- Uniform Title
- Hao qiu zhuan
- Variant Title
- Pleasing history
- Hau kiou choaan a Chinese history
- Related Title
- Pleasing history.
- London : Printed for R. and J. Dodsley, 1761.
- Chinese (translated from)
- "The author of this translation is not certainly known. The manuscript was found among the papers of a gentleman named Wilkinson, who occasionally resided much at Canton, and was a student of Chinese. The date of the papers, 1719, was the last year he spent in China; and he died in 1736. The three first volumes were in English and the fourth in Portuguese. Dr. Percy ... translated the last volume into English, and edited the work."--Wylie, A. Notes on Chinese lit. 1867, p. xxiii.
- Includes bibliographical references: (v. 1, p. xxix-xxxi).
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Contemporary calf, rebacked. Armorial bookplate, Earl of Ancram Robert & Virginia Tunstall Trust Fund, 2001/2002.
- Technical Details