- Item Actions
Nova Virginiae tabula
- Online; Map
- 1 map : hand col. ; 38 x 49 cm.
- Mathematical info
- Scale [ca. 1:300,000].
- Amstelodami : Ex officina Henrici Hondii, [1650?]
- Described as "Derivative 5, State 1" of John Smith's map of Virginia. It was used in all editions of the Mercator-Hondius atlas published after 1633, according to Verner, cited below.
- Variant 1: Dutch text on verso, with signature Iii, catchword "is" On sheet 44 x 54 cm. Annotated in pencil, "Jansson, 1650."
- Variant 2: Dutch text on verso, with signature Dd, catchword "riviere." On sheet 50 x 54 cm. Annotated in pencil, "Janson, Amsterdam, 1658."
- Relief shown pictorially.
- Oriented with north to the right.
- Includes hand col. ill.
- Cited in
- Verner, C. Smith's Virginia and its derivatives (In Tooley's Mapping of America), p. 165-166.
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: G3880 1633 .H6 1650: Variant 1. Paul Mellon Bequest, May 12, 2000.
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: G3880 1633 .H6 1658: Variant 2. Paul Mellon Bequest, May 12, 2000.
- Dutch text on verso.
- Technical details