- Item Actions
The monk : a romance
In three volumes ...
- Online; Book; EBook
- 3 v. ; 18 cm.
- London : Printed for J. Bell, 1796 [i.e. 1797]
- Third edition, third issue, 2nd state. This issue, 1st state, has cancel title pages set, with appropriate delitions, from the text of the 3rd ed. t.p., and are on paper with vertical chainlines, dated M.DCCXCVII. ViU has the 2nd state, in which the final digit of the date, with its accomanying period carefully scraped away, so that the date is "corrected" to "M.DCC.XVI." Cf. The early editions and issues of The Monk, by William B. Todd, in Studies in bibliography, v. 2, p. 23.
- Other points described by Summers: t.p. quotations come after the volume statement; Table of the Poetry on leaf A4r; Advertisement on leaf A4v. "Inscription in an Hermitage" listed at and begins on p. 88. See Summers, Gothic Bib., p. 419; and Summers, The Gothic quest, p. 211.
- According to Dict. nat. biog. and Ency. Brit., first published in 1795. Camb. Hist. of Eng. lit., Camb. Bibl., Summers, The Gothic Quest, and Summers, Gothic Bib., give first ed. date as 1796.
- Published also under the titles, Ambrosio, or The monk; Rosario, or, The monk; and Rosario, or, The female monk.
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Vol. 1: armorial bookplate of W. Richd. Whatham, Liverpool. Sadleir-Black Collection of Gothic Novels. Gift. Clippings and notes which were laid in have been placed in INSERT FILE.
- Technical details