- Item Actions
Notes on the state of Virginia
written in the year 1781, somewhat corrected and enlarged in the winter of 1782, for the use of a foreigner of distinction, in answer to certain queries proposed by him ... MDCCLXXXII.
- Online; Book; EBook
- 1 p. l., 391, 14 p. : 1 ill. ; 20 cm.
- [Paris, Printed 1784-85]
- Full page illustration, "An eye-draught of Madison's cave," p. 35. Folded table of names of Indian tribes at p. 169. Appendix, p.367-391: observations on the Notes, by Charles Thompson, secretary of Congress.
- To this copy is appended Jefferson's "Draught of a fundamental constitution for the commonwealth of Virginia" (14 p.)
- Cited in
- Calendared in the Jefferson Papers of the University of Virginia, 62
- Blockson, Commented bibl., 10
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Lafayette - Lasteyrie copy. Ms. note on fly-leaf, in Jefferson's hand: "Th. Jefferson begs the Marquis de la Fayette's acceptance of a copy of these Notes ..." Signatures: A-Z* (G*signed G³; leaves 1-4 of each gathering signed except A*, B³, E*, I*, M*, N*, O², O*, R², U³, U*) Aa*, Bb*(Aa*, Bb³-*unsigned) 14 p. at end unsigned. No cancels: pp. 51-54, 167-68, 181-84 and 315-18 in their original state. No map with this copy. Gift of William Andrews Clark, Jr.
- Technical details