- Item Actions
Virginia et Florida
- Map; Manuscript/Archive; Online
- 1 map : hand col. ; 14 x 17 cm. on sheet 26 x 19 cm.
- [London : Printed for Michaell Sparke, and are to be sowld in Greene Arboiure, 1637]
- A small version of the 1606 Hondius map "Virginiae item et Floridae ..." This small version was first used in Atlas Minor, Amsterdam, 1607, and later remained "unchanged throughout" 4 different English editions of "Historia Mundi: or Mercator's Atlas," published 1635-1639. Cf. Cumming, cited below.
- Detached from: Mercator's Historia Mundi (London, 1637), p. 899.
- Relief shown pictorially.
- Hand colored.
- Text of the map in Latin; text on verso in English.
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Paul Mellon Bequest, May 12, 2000.
- Cited in
- Cumming, W.P. Southeast in early maps, 3rd ed., rev. & enl., Map 37.
- Technical Details