- Item Actions
In Congress, July 4, 1776 : A declaration by the representatives of the United States of America, in General Congress assembled
[62 + 4 lines].
- Online; Book; EBook; Government Document; Broadside
- 1 sheet ( p.) ; 48 x 35.5 cm
- Related title
- Declaration by the representatives of the United States of America, in General Congress assembled.
- Philadelphia: : Printed by John Dunlap., 
- The first printed issue of the Declaration of Independence.--Evans 15155.
- "Signed by order and in behalf of the Congress, John Hancock, President. Attest. Charles Thomson, Secretary."
- Goff notes a difference in the placement of the imprint in two states of the broadside. In the earlier state the "P" of Philadephia is under the comma after Thomson's name, in the later state the "P" is under the "n" in Thomson's name.
- Goff notes also a proof copy (imperfect), held by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, exhibiting differences in punctuation and in the insertion in line 13 of the word ?a? before the word ?new.? Cf. Goff, F.R. The John Dunlap broadside: the first printing of the Declaration of Independence, 1976.
- Cited in
- Goff, F.R. The John Dunlap broadside, entry 14
- English short title catalogue, entry W14406
- Evans, C. American bibliography, entry 15155
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: A 1776 .U56: Imperfect: upper left corner replaced in facsimile; remargined. The imprint is in the earlier of Goff's two states. Tracy W. McGregor Library, American History Collection.
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: KF4506 .A1 1776: The imprint is in the later of Goff's two states. George Washington's copy. Later owned by Tobias Lear, George Washington Storer, Stephen Decatur, Jr., H. Bradley Martin, and Albert H. Small. Albert H. Small Declaration of Independence Collection.
- Technical details