- Item Actions
A correct chart of the Terraqueous Globe on which are described lines shewing the variation of the magnetic needle in the most frequented seas
originally composed in the year 1700, by the celebrated Dr. Edmund Halley ; renewed by William Mountaine and James Dodson F.R.S. according to observations made about the year 1756, and now published with all the necessary emendations.
- Online; Map
- 1 map on 2 sheets : hand col. ; each image measuring 53 x 61 cm. (on sheets 53 x 74 cm.)
- [Proof copy]
- Mathematical info
- Scale [ca. 1:14,000,000]
- London : Printed for R. Sayer, Map Print & Chartseller, No. 53 Fleet Street, as the Act directs, 20th Feby. 1789.
- Only coastal outlines shown; no relief.
- Includes text: Sheet 1, An account of the variation chart -- De Ignoto Inventore Pixidis Nauticae (within ornamental border); Sheet 2, Remarks on the variation lines &c. -- Observations on the dips of the needle by Monsr. Le Gentil.
- Handwritten in each lower margin: Dry proofs to make remarks on.
- Inset: Supplement for the Polar Regions.
- This chart was first issued in 1756, and subsequently in a number of variants until at least 1794 (see Thrower).
- Cited in
- Thrower, N.J., Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 59(4): 652-676, 1969 (see note 57 on p. 669)
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Tracy W. McGregor Library, American History Collection.
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: In McGregor Map Cabinet.
- Technical details