- Item Actions
A map of the Middle British colonies in North America
First published by Lewis Evans, of Philadelphia, in 1755; and since corrected and improved, as also extended, with the addition of New England, and bordering parts of Canada; from actual surveys now lying at the Board of Trade.By T. Pownall, MP. Engraved by Jas. Turner in Philadelphia.
- Online; Map
- 1 map : hand col. 49 x 83 cm.
- Variant title
- Middle British colonies in North America
- Mathematical info
- Scale [ca. 1:2,250,000]
- London : Printed & published according to Act of Parliament for J. Almon in Piccadilly, London, March 25th,1776.
- Was published in Pownall's "Topographical description of such parts of North America as are contained in the (annexed) map ... London, 1776."
- Prime meridian: London and Philadelphia.
- Relief shown pictorially.
- Includes text, list of townships, distance charts, and inset "A sketch of the remaining part of Ohio R. &c."
- Notation within Lake Erie regarding the Iroquois Confederation.
- Distance tables from Quebec, F. du Quesne, and Albany.
- Approbation by Lewis Evans to Pownall in upper left.
- Cited in
- LC Maps of North America, 1750-1789, 710
- McCorkle, New England, 776.24
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS. Edges chipped and stained; map pasted on mounting board. Tracy W. McGregor Library, American History Collection.
- Technical details