- Item Actions
by H. Moll Geographer
- Map; Online
- 1 map : hand-col. ; 20 x 27 cm.
- Cartographic Info
- Scale ca. 1:1,500,000
- [London : T. Longman and T. Shewell ..., 1739]
- Relief shown pictorially.
- Note below title: The English claim the Property of Carolina from Lat. 29 &c. Degrees as part of Cabot's Discoveries ...
- First appeared in Moll's Atlas minor, London, 1729, no. 51. "Five different impressions of this map are found in Moll's Atlas Minor and in Salmon's modern History, London, 1739." -- Cf. Cumming and DeVorsey.
- Variant with "The South Bounds of Carolina according to the last Charter", Vol. 3, p. 589 in upper left corner and "51" at upper right.
- Appeared in: Modern history, or, The present state of all nations ... / by Mr. Salmon illustrated with cuts and maps ... drawn ... by Herman Moll. -- The third edition ...
- This map, which extends from the south bounds of Carolina to C. Charles in Virginia, shows the location of Indian tribes in the Carolinas. It gives the chief roads or trading routes westward from Charleston, and many islands along the coast are identified by name for the first time on a printed map. In later states of map, "Azilia" was changed to "Georgia."
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Tracy W. McGregor Library, American History Collection.
- Cited in
- Cumming & DeVorsey, Southeast in early maps 206-D.
- Technical Details