- Item Actions
Virginia, Marylandia et Carolina in America Septentrionali Britannorum Industria Excultæ
repræsentatæ à Ioh. Bapt. Homann, S.C.M. Geog. Norimbergae
- Map; Online
- 1 map : hand col. ; 48 x 57 cm.
- Cartographic Info
- Scale [ca. 1:2,125,000].
- [Nuremberg : Homann, ca. 1714]
- Place names predominantly in Latin and English
- Also covers Delaware, southern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, western Long Island, southwestern Connecticut, and portions of adjacent areas.
- Relief shown pictorially. Depths shown by soundings.
- Scale: Milliaria Germanica
- According to Cumming and DeVorsey, this map first appeard in Homann's Atlas Novus, 1714, and afterwards in a number of atlases throughout the century. Versions appearing after 1730 or so have the phrase "Cum Privilegio Sac. Caes. majest." added below "Norimbergae" in the cartouche.
- Elaborate cartouche.
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Area Table 75 1714 Homann Copy 1: Imperfect: contains several small wormholes and the lower margin is chipped; verdigris show-through on verso. Tracy W. McGregor Library, American History Collection.
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Area Table 75 1714 Homann Copy 2: Minimal staining in lower left margin. Tracy W. McGregor Library, American History Collection.
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: G3870 1714 .H6: Imperfect: Staining and damage with image loss at upper left corner. All edges trimmed to the border; mounted on linen.
- Cited in
- Cumming and DeVorsey, Southeast in early maps, 3rd ed. rev. and enlarged, 1998, no. 156, Plate 46.
- Technical Details