- Item Actions
A Map of the Country Between Albemarle Sound, and Lake Erie: Comprehending the Whole of Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and Pensylvania, With Parts of Several Other of the United States of America
engraved for the Notes on Virginia .
- Map; Online
- 1 map : 60 x 59 cm.
- Cartographic Info
- Scale [ca.1:1,300,000].
- [United States : s.n., 18--?]
- Undated, unidentified reprint, without any indication of printer, publisher or engraver. All copies have facsimile signature "Thos. Jefferson 1787" at upper right above the neatline, and "July 1787" in script as the last line of the cartouche.
- Shows boundaries, names of townships, cities, counties, and drainage.
- Relief shown pictorially and by hachures.
- "The country on the eastern side of the Alleganey Mountains, is taken from Fry and Jefferson's Map of Virginia and Scull's Map of Pennsylvania, which were constructed chiefly on actual survey; that on the western side of the Alleganey, is taken from Hutchins who went over the principal water courses, with a compass and log-line, correcting his work by observations of latitutde: additions have been made, where they could be made on sure ground."
- Original appeared in: Notes on the State of Virginia...illustrated with a map. London: J. Stockdale, 1787.
- Does not match any of the reproductions described in Coolie Verner's "Mr. Jefferson makes a map "(Imago Mundi, v. 14, 1959).
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Area Table 755 1787 Jefferson (b): Badly damaged (burned?) on right side. Tracy W. McGregor Library, American History Collection.
- Technical Details