- Item Actions
A Draught of Virginia From the Capes to York in York River and to Kuiquotan or Hamton in James River
by Mark Tiddeman
- Map; Online
- 1 map : hand-col. ; 46 x 58 cm., folded to 47 x 30 cm.
- Related Title
- Virginia pilot. Fourth book.
- Cartographic Info
- Scale [ca. 1:126,720].
- London : Printed & sold by Page & Mount on Tower Hill, [between 1729 and 1749]
- State 1 of the map drafted by Tiddeman between 1725 and 1728, when it was sold to Mount and Page, and included in editions of The English Pilot, Fourth Book from 1729 to 1749. The 2nd state of the map appeared in editions published between 1751 to 1794. -- Cf. Coolie Verner's "A carto-bibliographical study of The English Pilot, the fourth book," p. -61.
- Depths shown by soundings.
- Includes illustrations of buildings to show locations of selected settlements.
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Area Table 755.4: Detached from an unidentified edition of The English Pilot. Numbered "28" in brown ink on verso. Tracy W. McGregor Library, American History Collection. Previously accessioned as MSS 2410.
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: G3882 .C6 P5 1729 .T54: Six photocopies of various printings of State 1 of the map. From the collection of Coolie Vernor and dated by him as 1729 (2 copies), 1732, 1737 and 1749 (2 copies)
- Technical Details