- Item Actions
Americae sive novi orbis, nova descriptio
- Online; Map
- 1 map : hand col. ; 36 x 49 cm.
- Mathematical info
- Scale [ca. 1:42,000,000]
- [Antwerp : Christopher Plantin, 1584]
- Shows North and South America
- Appeared in editions of Theatrum orbis terrarum, and conforms with Burden's description of the 1579 plate, Latin issue of 1584: strapwork border 4 mm. thick; largest ship in the Pacific sailing eastward; gradations along the equatorial line; bulge in the southwestern coast of South America; Latin text on verso, with 13th line from the bottom beginning "mentaria rerum ... "
- Latin text on verso is numbered "5" and has caption title "Novvs Orbis".
- Relief shown pictorially.
- Cited in
- Burden, P.D., Mapping of North America, no. 52, p. 65-66.
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Tracy W. McGregor Library, American History Collection.
- Technical details