Portrait of Dr. [James Alexander] Waddell Presented to University
Online; Still Image
UVa Medi cal Alumni News Letter
Left to right: Dr. W. W. Waddell, Jr., Mrs. W. W. Waddell, Jr., Mrs. Frederick V. Vance, Jr. , Dr. Frederick V. Vance, Jr., Mrs. W. W. Waddell, III, and W. W. Waddell, III. From the Medical Alumni News Letter, May-June 1959: "Dr. W. W. Waddell, Jr., '18, member of the medical faculty at the University of Virginia for the past thirty-six years, and Professor and Chairman of Pediatrics since 1944, was honored with a cocktail party and testimonial dinner at Farmington Country Club on June 9, given by his former residents. Dr. Waddell's resignation as Chairman of the Department of Pediatrics, effective July 1, is in accordance with University policy which requires retirement from adminstrative positions at the age of sixty-five. Dr. Waddell is continuing his pediatric practice and teaching duties as Professor of Pediatrics. Dr. McLemore Birdsong, '37, Professor of Pediatrics, who has been a member of the pediatric faculty under Dr. Wadell for nineteen years, has been named Acting Chairman. A portrait of Dr. Waddell, painted by Bronislaw A. Malieski, was presented to the University of Virginia School of Medicine by Dr. F. Read Hopkins, '26, of Lynchburg, Va., oldest of the residents returning for the present ceremony. Funds for the portrait were contributed by residents who received their pediatric training under Dr. Waddell. Dr. Waddell's daughter, Mrs. Frederick V. Vance, Jr. of Bristol, Tenn., unveiled the portrait, which was accepted on behalf of the medical school by Dr. Thomas H. Hunter, Dean. Dr. Birdsong introduced Dr. Hopkins and served as master of ceremonies. In making the presentation, Dr. Hopkins said: 'It is a privilege to be here on this occasion to say a few words on behalf of the former pediatric residents in honor of our friend -- Dr. Bill Waddell. He is a great clinician, a great teacher, and a great gentleman of the Old Virginia type. 'We have all profited by our close association with him....As h e retires as Chairman of the Department of Pediatrics, we wish him many more happy and useful years, and as a token of our appreciation, we present this portrait to the University.' Dr. Waddell received his M.D. degree from the University of Virginia School of Medicine in 1918; served his internship at Episcopal Hospital in Philadelphia, Pa.; took his residency training in pediatrics at Bellevue Hospital in New York City; and then returned to Virginia as an Instructor in Pediatrics. He became Assistant Professor of Pediatrics in 1927, was promoted to Associate Professor in 1936, and to Professor of Pediatrics in 1944. Dr. Waddell is a member of the American Medical Association, American Academy of Pediatrics, Medical Society of Virginia, Virginia Pediatric Society, and Albemarle County Medical Society. He is author and co-author of numerous articles pertaining to diseases of children. He recorded the first instance of the use of vitamin K in the treatment of hemorrhagic disease of the newborn, and subsequently published numerous articles contributing to the present knowledge concerning the cause, prevention, and treatment of hemorrhagic disease of the newborn."