- Item Actions
John Smith's letters, with 'picters' to match : containing reasons why John Smith should not change his name ; Miss Debby Smith's juvenile spirit [ ... ]
- Online; Book; EBook
- 139 p. : ill. ; 19 cm.
- Variant title
- John Smiths letters 1839
- New York, N.Y. : Samuel Colman, 1839.
- Sabin 84145; Wright I 2464; BAL 18382.
- BAL's 1st printing with signature collation: -12⁶; plates are only 16.5 cm. high.
- A collection of humorous letters first published in the New York Mirror.
- Not included under Seba Smith's works in Williamson's Bibliography of Maine, but attributed to Seba Smith by M.A. Wyman in her Two American pioneers, p. 87-88 and 236, and by Sabin.
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Original boards with blue cloth backstrip and paper label on front, which reads: John Smith's letters, with picters to match, consarning the disputed territory away down east in the state of Maine. London: Wiley & Putnam, 67 Paternoster Row, 1839. Clifton Waller Barrett Library, Seba Smith Collection.
- Technical details