- Item Actions
The select letters of Major Jack Downing : of the Downingville militia, away down east, in the state of Maine
Written by himself.
- Online; Book; EBook
- xi, 212 p. : ill. ; 18 cm.
- Philadelphia, Pa. : Printed for the publisher, 1834.
- Wright I 2474; Checklist Amer. imprints, 26838; BAL 18379.
- "In this edishon I have put in my last letters ... Contains many important letters on the Great consarns of the nashon, sent to the Portland curier, and my friend Dwight of New York."--Pref.
- BAL cites M.A. Wyman, Two American pioneers, p. 84, who states that this is an unauthorized edition, which includes letters written by Charles A. Davis as well as by Smith. In his Bibl. of the state of Maine, J. Willimason writes, "This was the first edition of Jack Downing. It should not be confounded with 'Letters of Jack Downing to his old friend Mr. Dwight' ... New York, 1834, which was written by Charles A. Davis, and is either spurious or in imitation."
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Copy 1: original blue boards with buff paper backstrip and paper label on spine. Bookplate of Philip Greely Brown.
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Copy 2: Barrett Coll. Original pink cloth with paper label on spine. Bookplate of George L. Balcom.
- Technical details