- Item Actions
Letters of J. Downing, major, Downingville militia, Second brigade, to his old friend, Mr. Dwight, of the New-York daily advertiser
Davis, Charles Augustus,
- Online; Book; EBook
- ix, 259,  p. ; front., plates ; 20 cm.
- New York : Harper & brothers, 1834.
- Added t.-p., illustrated.
- Not to be confused with "The select letters of Major Jack Downing" Philadelphia, 1834, written by Seba Smith and originally published in the Portland Courier 1830-1833, to which in the Philadelphia, 1834 edition a few of the Davis letters to the New York Daily advertiser are added by way of appendix. cf. J. Williamson, Bibliog. of ... Maine (1896) p. 448 whose Philadelphia, 1831 edition is probably a misprint for 1834.
- "Appendix" (testimonials to Major Downing): pp. - at end; pub. advts. pp. - at end.
- Contains 31 letters.
- BAL 4495, state 1; Wright, L.H., Amer. fiction 1774-1850, 828.
- Technical details