- Item Actions
The marble faun: or, The romance of Monte Beni
By Nathaniel Hawthorne ...
- Online; Book; EBook
- 2 v. 19 cm.
- Related title
- The marble faun.
- Boston, Ticknor and Fields, 1860.
- First American edition.
- Publisher's advertisements: 16 p. at end of v. 1.
- Preface dated Leamington, December 15, 1859.
- Published simultaneously in London, in 3 vols., by Smith, Elder, and Company, under title: Transformation: or, The romance of Monte Beni.
- Cited in
- BAL 7621.
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: PS1862 .A1 1860b: 1st printing, with sheets bound in 8s, even though signed in 12s. Advertisements at end of vol. 1 dated February, 1860. Hunter Collection; gift of Mrs. J. Clayton Mitchell.
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: PS1862 .A1 1860c: 2nd printing, with sheets bound in 12s, as signed. Table of Contents is positioned after title page. Advertisements in all copies dated March, 1860. Copies 1-2 and 5: Clifton Waller Barrett Library, Nathaniel Hawthorne Collection, gifts of C.W. Barrett. Copy 1: Unbound, in sheets. Copy 2: Bookplate of Philip Greely Brown. Copy 3: Signature of J. Perkins. Copy 5: Presentation inscr. from the author to E.R. Whipple Esq. dated Feb. 28, 1860; bookplate of Frederic Forehand.
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: PS1862 .A1 1860d: 3rd printing, with sheets bound in 12s, as signed. Table of Contents is positioned after the Preface. All copies have advertisements dated March, 1860. Copy 1: Clifton Waller Barrett Library, Nathaniel Hawthorne Collection; Gift of C.W. Barrett. Copy 2: Gift of Wilbur P. Morgan. Copy 3: Signature of Colin MacKenzie, 1860; gift of Harrison Marshall Robertson. Copy 4: Bookplate of Alice Huff Johnston; gift of Clem D. Johnston.
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: PS1862 .A1 1860e: A reissue of the 1st ed., 1st printing, bound in black cloth, with 4 p. of advertisements of books offered for sale by T.O.H.P. Burnham, Boston at end of v. 2. See BAL 7621, Note. Clifton Waller Barrett Library, Nathaniel Hawthorne Collection. Gift of C.W. Barrett. Two letters concerning the book from Arnold Bruce Levy and Joseph Blanck are laid in.
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: PS1862 .A1 1860g: a later printing (vol. 1 only) with "Seventeenth Thousand" on verso of title page. Without advertisements at end. Gift of Thomas Jefferson Memorial Unitarian Church.
- Technical details