- Item Actions
The architecture of A. Palladio : in four books. Containing a short treatise of the five orders, and the most necessary observations concerning all sorts of building; as also the different construction of private and publick houses, high-ways, bridges, market-places, xystes, and temples, with their plans, sections, and uprights
Revis'd, design'd, and publish'd by Giacomo Leoni ... Translated from the Italian original ...
- Online; Book; EBook
- 2 v. in 1 front., illus., plates (incl. port., plans) 45 cm.
- The 2d edition.
- London, Printed by John Darby for the author, and all the plates by John Vantack, M. DCC. XXI.
- Signatures: Vol. 1: 2 unsigned l., a¹, t¹, B-Z², Aa-Cc², B-Z², Aa², Bb¹, Cc¹. Vol. 2: 1 unsigned l., B-Z², Aa², Bb¹.
- Vol. 1, bk. 1 has 2 unnumbered plates, and 36 numbered illustrations. Vol. 1, bk. 2 has 61 numbered illustrations. Vol. 2, bk. 1 has 22 numbered illustrations; vol. 2 bk. 2 has 104 numbered illustrations. Many of the illustrations are full or double-page plates.
- Head and tail pieces; initials.
- Each vol. has separate t.-p. and pagination.
- Translated by N. Dubois; plates engraved by Picart.
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Copy 1: Bound in 1 vol. Mss. note on t.-p.: "This copy of the work from which Mr. Jefferson made his drawings of the Rotunda and the Pavilions of the University of Virginia is presented to the University of Virginia with the homage of Thos. Nelson Page." Bookseller's label of C.E. Rappaport, Rome. Gift of Thomas Nelson Page.
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Copy 2: Bound in 2 vols. Laid in vol. 1: A proof copy of a portrait of "Palladio. From a picture by L. Bigleoschi, in the Collection of the Capital, at Rome. Engraved by R. Woodman. Under the Superintendence of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. London, Published by Charles Knight, Ludgate Street."
- Technical details