- Item Actions
Narrative of a Four Months' Residence Among the Natives of a Valley of the Marquesas Islands, or, a Peep at Polynesian Life
By Herman Melville
- Book; Online
- xvi, 285, , 16 p. : map. ; 19 cm.
- Uniform Title
- Variant Title
- Peep at Polynesian life
- Murray's colonial and home library
- London : John Murray, 1846 (London : Printed by William Clowes and Son)
- First American edition (New York, Wiley and Putnam; London, J. Murray, 1846) has title: Typee: a peep at Polynesian life.
- Publisher's catalog, dated March 1846: 16 p. at end.
- Sequel: Omoo.
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Copy 1: Original blindstamped red cloth. Inscribed by the author's brother (who edited, proofread, and saw the book through the press) to "Mrs. Maria G. Melville with the best love and profoundest respects of her son, Gansevoort Melville. London March 3rd 1846." With this are housed a Civil War era tintype of Herman Melville, and portraits of Melville's parents (Allan and Maria Gansevoort Melville), Mrs. Melville's parents (Peter and Catherina Van Schaick Gansevoort) and another Melville ancestor, Sir John Melvil and Baron of Granton. Also laid in is a handwritten description of the book by former owner Victor Hugo Paltsits. Reviews of the book from the commercial advertisers, Buffalo, July 1, 1846 tipped in. Clifton Waller Barrett Library, Herman Melville Collection. Gift of C.W. Barrett.
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Copy 2: bookplate of Carroll Atwood Wilson. Gift of C.W. Barrett.
- Series Statement
- Murray's colonial and home library, vol. XV
- Technical Details