- Item Actions
Authentic and impartial narrative of the tragical scene which was witnessed in Southampton County (Virginia) on Monday the 22d of August last : when fifty-five of its inhabitants (mostly women and children) were inhumanly massacred by the blacks! : Communicated by those who were eye witnesses of the bloody scene, and confirmed by the confessions of several of the blacks while under sentence of death
- Online; Book; EBook
- , 6-38 p.,  folded leaf of plates : ill. (woodcut) ; 21 cm
- Related title
- Horrid massacre in Virginia.
- [New York] : Printed for Warner & West., 1831.
- Copyright page: "Southern District of New York ... on the twenty first day of October, A.D. 1831, Samuel Warner ... deposited in this office ... the right whereof he claims as author ..."
- Signatures: [A]⁴ B² C-F⁴/².
- Frontispiece entited "Horrid massacre in Virginia." with caption: "The scenes which the above plate is designed to represent, are--Fig 1. a Mother intreating for the lives of her children.--2. Mr. Travis, cruelly murdered by his own slaves.--3. Mr. Barrow, who bravely defended himself until his wife escaped.--4. A comp. of mounted Dragoons in pursuit of the Blacks."
- Cited in
- Checklist of American imprints, 31-10536
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Original unprinted blue-gray wrapper. Tracy W. McGregor Library, American History Collection. This copy recataloged through a generous grant from the McGregor Fund.
- Technical details