- Item Actions
The Declaration of Independence
drawn with a steel pen by R. Morris Swander; and engraved (fac simile) by P.S. Duval & Son, Philada. ; this allegorical portrait of Washington respectfully dedicated to the Christian Commission's of the United States by the publishers
- Book; Broadside; Online
- 1 sheet ( p.) : ill. ; 54 x 41 cm. (printed area)
- Uniform Title
- Declaration of Independence
- Philadelphia : Published by the Art Publishing Association of Philadelphia, Swander, Bishop & Cos., c1865.
- The script of the text of the Declaration forms an oval portrait of George Washington, which is encircled by facsimiles of the signatures. A reproduction of Durand's key to the image of the signing ceremony is at the top of the sheet, and the whole is within a small ornamental border.
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Mounted on linen; some tears at edges. Albert H. Small Declaration of Independence Collection. Deposit of Albert H. Small, July 14, 2003.
- Cited in
- Bidwell, J. American history in image and text (Proc. of the American Antiquarian Society, v. 98, pt. 2, 1988), 32.
- Technical Details