- Item Actions
Arthur Mervyn, or, Memoirs of the Year 1793
by the author of Wieland and Ormond, or The secret witness
- Book; Online
- 2 v. (iv, 224 ; 243,  p.) ; 18 cm. (12mo)
- Variant Title
- Arthur Mervyn
- Memoirs of the year 1793
- Philadelphia : Printed and published by H. Maxwell, No. 3, Letitia Court, and sold by Messrs. T. Dobson, R. Campbell, H. and P. Rice, A. Dickins, and the principal booksellers in the neighbouring states, 1799.
- Vol. 2 (second part) has imprint: New-York, Printed and sold by George F. Hopkins, at Washington's Head, 136, Pearl-Street, 1800.
- Preface signed C.B.B.
- A novel describing Philadelphia during the yellow fever epidemic in 1793.
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: PS1134 .A7 1799 Copy 1: Vol. 1: Contemporary sprinkled sheep with red leather spine title label. Vol. 2: Contemporary tree sheep; front cover wanting; spine attached with pink fabric tape.
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: PS1134 .A7 1799 Copy 2: With typographical errors described in BAL in both volumes. Both volumes are in contemporary tree sheep, with red leather spine title label but are not uniformly bound. The labels are different, and v. 1 has 4 gilt ornaments on spine, plus the volume number in a circle; v. 2 has only the spine label and an uncircled volume number. Vol. 1: Bookplate of Isaac R. Marshall. Vol. 2: Bookplates of Howard Pyle and John Stewart Groves. Clifton Waller Barrett Library, Charles Brockden Brown Collection. In 1941, Collector's Bookshop conducted a survey among libraries and private collectors on ownership and binding of the 2nd volume; 10 returned postcard responces (including one from Mrs. R.C. Taylor) which were laid in, have been placed in INSERT FILE.
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Taylor 1799 .B76 A7 Copy 1-2: Taylor Collection of American Best-sellers. Gift of Mrs. R.C. Taylor.
- Cited in
- BAL 1498, 1501.
- Evans 35243, 37053
- Wright, L.H. Amer. fiction, 1774-1850 (2nd ed.), 418
- Technical Details