- Item Actions
Phelps & Ensign's Travellers' Guide, and Map of the United States: Containing the Roads, Distances, Steam Boat and Canal Routes &C.
engraved on steel by J. Wells, Brooklyn, L.I.
- Map; Online
- 1 map : hand col. ; 40 x 77 cm. on sheet 74 x 115 cm.
- Variant Title
- Travellers' guide, and map of the United States
- Phelps and Ensign's travellers' guide, and map of the United States
- Cartographic Info
- Scale [ca. 1:4,750,000].
- New York : Published by Phelps & Ensign, 1840.
- Relief shown by hachures.
- Prime meridian: Washington.
- Distances from point to point shown on roads.
- Map within decorative borders, with illustrative material outside the border on the bottom of the sheet.
- Inside the border of the map: [Left side, charts and text]: Comparative view of the chief rivers of the world -- [Map of] The world -- Comparative view of the principal mountains of the world, with their altitudes -- Text of the Declaration of Independence, with facsimile signatures and an identification key to the portrait of the signers. -- [Right side, insets]: Vicinity of Niagara Falls -- North part of Maine -- Vicinity of New York -- Vicinity of Philadelphia -- Vicinity of Boston -- South part of Florida -- Vicinity of Baltimore -- Vicinity of New Orleans -- Vicinity of Mobile -- Vicinity of Cincinnati -- Vicinity of St. Louis -- Vicinity of Charleston -- Vicinity of Pittsburg -- Vicinity of Chicago -- Vicinity of Detroit -- Vicinity of Washington.
- Outside the border, below the map (left to right): Small portraits of Presidents Washington, Adams, Jefferson and Madison; a vertical column-shaped design featuring a central portrait of "King Philip, 1676 (i.e. Philip, Sachem of the Wampanoags, d. 1676), decorated with various symbols of his office and career; views of the Landing of the Pilgrims, Battle of Lexington, Battle of Bunkers Hill and Washington's Farewell to his Army, above an elongated image based on Trumbull's Signing of the Declaration of Independence; another column-shaped design featuring a central portrait of George Washington, decorated with various symbols of his office and career; small portraits of presidents Monroe through Van Buren.
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Uniformly browned; marginal tears, fabric backed. Albert H. Small Declaration of Independence Collection. Gift of Albert H. Small, July 2010.
- Technical Details