Item Details

Print View

Virginia, Hampton quadrangle, Langley Field

Department of the Interior, Franklin K. Lane, Secretary, U.S. Geological Survey, George Otis Smith, Director.
Format
Online; Map; Government Document
Description
1 map : col. ; 45 x 36 cm.
Variant title
Filing title:
Hampton, Langley Field
Hampton quadrangle, Langley Field
Langley field
Edition
Edition of 1907, reissued with red overprint 1918.
Mathematical info
Scale 1:62,500 ;
Polyconic proj.
(W 76⁰30ʹ00ʺ--W 76⁰15ʹ00ʺ/N 37⁰15ʹ00ʺ--N 37⁰00ʹ00ʺ).
Published
Washington, D.C. : U.S. Geological Survey, 1918.
Notes
"Topography" at top of sheet.
Relief shown by contours and spot heights.
"Contour interval 10 feet."
Shows marsh areas and bathymetry.
Surveyed in 1906.
H.M. Wilson, geographer; Van. H. Manning, in charge of section; topography by Albert Pike, J.S.B. Daingerfield, and R.L. Harrison; control and shore topography by Coast and Geodetic Survey.
Reissued in 1918 with additions in red overprint: "Langley Field" added to the titles, outlining of Langley Field, and a meter scale in the right margin. The airfield officially became the Langley Field on Aug. 7, 1917 and officially became the Langley Air Force Base in 1948.
Includes on verso a descriptive essay, "Fort Monroe, Langley Field, and the adjacent country" by L.W. Stephenson, with map, "Sketch map of the lower Chesapeake Bay region."
Technical details
  • Staff View