- Item Actions
Poems on Various Subjects, Religious and Moral
By Phillis Wheatley, Negro servant to Mr. John Wheatley, of Boston, in New England
- Book; Online
- v, 124,  p.,  leaf of plates : port. ; 18 cm.
- London : Printed for A. Bell, Bookseller, Aldgate, and sold by Messrs. Cox and Berry, King-Street, Boston, 1773.
- Signatures: A-Q4, with horizontal chainlines.
- Oval portrait framed with text "Phillis Wheatley, Negro servant to Mr. John Wheatley, of Boston." With imprint at bottom of page "Published according to Act of Parliament Septr. 1st. 1773 by Archd. Bell, Bookseller No. 8 near the Saracens Head Aldgate."
- Contents on p. - at end.
- Publisher's advertisements on p.  at end.
- The publication of this book was announced in the London Chronicle for Sept. 11, 1773, p. 255, col. 3. (Copy in McGregor Library, A 1757 .L65)
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Contemporary sheep, rebacked. Armorial bookplate, with motto "Virtute parta tuemini." Clifton Waller Barrett Library, American Poetry Collection. Gift of C. W. Barrett.
- Cited in
- Blockson, Commented bibl., 68
- Porter, Early Am. Negro writings, 270
- Wegelin, 1st ed., v. 1, p. 54.
- Technical Details