- Item Actions
Virginiae item et Floridae Americae provinciarum, nova descriptio
- Online; Map
- 1 map ; 33 x 47 cm. on sheet 42 x 57 cm.
- Mathematical info
- Scale [ca. 1:3,000,000]
- (W 82⁰--W 75⁰/N 38⁰--N 30⁰).
- [Amsterdam : Hondius, 1613 or 1616]
- Relief shown pictorially.
- First appeared in Gerhard Mercator's atlas brought out by Jodocus Hondius beginning in 1606. "Many editions in various languages followed; but the map itself remained unaltered, and when it is found as a separate there is no indication of which edition it is from except by a collation of the text on the back with texts in complete atlases." -- Cumming/Vorsey, 3rd ed., p. 134.
- Text on verso in Latin, with: caption title "Virginia et Florida"; signature mark "Zzzzzzz"; catchword "Florida"; paged no. 358-359. -- From the 1613 or 1616 edition of Mercator's atlas. Cf. Burden.
- Includes notes, illustrations, and cartouche with a view of a Florida Indian village on the left, and a Virginia Indian village on the right.
- Cited in
- Burden, P.D. Mapping of North America, 151
- Cumming & Vorsey, Southeast in early maps, 3rd ed. rev. & enl., 26
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Copy 1: Hand-colored. Tracy W. McGregor Library, American History Collection.
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Copy 2: B&W. Mounted on very acidic board. May or may not be a copy. Tracy W. McGregor Library, American History Collection.
- Technical details