- Item Actions
Virginia, Maryland, Pennsilvania, east & west New Jarsey
by John Thornton.
- Online; Map
- 1 map on two sheets : hand col. ; 52 x 80 cm.
- Variant title
- Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, east and west New Jersey
- Mathematical info
- Scale [ca. 1:590,000]
- London : By John Thornton at ye Platt in the Minories and by Will: Fisher at ye Postorn Gate on Tower hill, London, [between 1689 and 1706]
- Nautical chart of the coast from New York Bay to Chesapeake Bay, with two compass roses and a cartouche in upper right corner. Scale in English leagues.
- Depths shown by soundings and stippling; selected relief shown pictorially.
- Oriented with north to the right.
- From: The English pilot. The fourth book.
- Verner indicates 5 states of this map.
- Cited in
- Verner, C. Carto-bibliographical study of The English pilot, p. 33
- Swem, Maps Relating to Virginia, 130
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS. Area Table 749-99 1689 Thornton: Verner's Plate 1, State 1, p. 33. Imperfect: fragile, several fold separations including complete centerfold split. Depth soundings in Delaware Bay cannot be read with map horizontal. Tracy W. McGregor Library, American History Collection.
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS. Area Table 749-99 1689 Thornton (b): Verner's Plate 1, State 2, with more detail in Delaware Bay, and a different orientation of those depth soundings, etc. The sheets have been pasted together to form 1 sheet, with minimal creasing lower margin. Tracy W. McGregor Library, American History Collection.
- Technical details