- Item Actions
The Country Twenty-Five Miles Round New York
drawn by a gentleman from that city. ; Published according to Act of Parliament, 1st January, 1777, by W. Hawkes, (Successor to T. Kitchin) No. 59, Holborn Hill ; Price one shilling
- Map; Online
- 1 map : hand col. ; 38 x 39 cm., on sheet 63 x 50 cm.
- Cartographic Info
- No scale given
- [London] : Printed for R. Sayer & J. Bennett, Map & Printsellers, No. 53 Fleet Street , as the act directs, 2 June 1777.
- "J. Barbour, sculpt. Holburn Hill" has been removed from lower right corner of map, and the engraved description immediately below the map has been extended, bringing the date down to "[Nov.] 16th, Ft. Washington taken by Storm."
- Relief shown pictorially.
- Shows radial distances ("The Spherical Lines are described Five Miles from each other."
- Includes text: Chronological table of the most interesting occurrences since the commencement of hostilities in North America -- Alphabetical table of the principal Towns in North America, with their Distances from New-York -- Estimate of the People in the following Confederate Colonies; taken by Order of the Congress, September, 1774 -- Staten-Island, 1st August, 1776. British Order of Battle, as settled by a Council of War. His Excellency Sir William Howe, Commander in Chief... -- Troops under General Sir William Howe in America -- Naval Force under Admiral Lord Howe in America -- State of the Provincial Forces in May 1775.
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: "No. 65" and title handwritten on verso. Gift of Seymour I. Schwartz, December, 2006.
- Cited in
- Stevens and Tree, Comparative cartography, no. 43d.
- Nebenzahl, K., Battle Plans of the American Revolution, 110 (Note)
- Technical Details