- Item Actions
Map of the chief part of the Southern States and part of the Western : Engraved to illustrate Mitchell's School and family geographyNo. 12
Engraved by W. Williams.
- Online; Map
- 1 map : hand-col. ; 26 x 41 cm.
- Mathematical info
- Scale [ca. 1:3,700,000]
- Philadelphia : E.H. Butler & Co., [between 1859 and 1863?
- Includes the Carolinas, Florida, northern Florida, Tennessee Arkansas, Lousiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia.
- Shows railroads, canals, populations and distances.
- Relief shown by hachures.
- Prime meridians: Greenwich and Washington.
- Includes note and explanaton.
- Above title: No. 12.
- "Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1858 by S. Augustus Mitchell in the Clerk's office of the District Court of the eastern district of Pennsylvania."
- Appeared in: Mitchell's School atlas : comprising the maps and tables designed to accompany Mitchell;s school and family geography. Philadelphia : E.H. Butler & Co., [between 1859 and 1863?] The first edition of the School atlas with maps copyrighted 1858 seems to have appeared in 1859. West Virginia, which became a state in 1863, is not shown on another map probably extracted from the same volume.
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS. Imperfect: Tear at lower margin and centerfold separation at top. Manuscript notes re. S.B. Leonard on verso.
- Technical details