- Item Actions
South America : corrected from the observation com[m]unicated to the Royal Society's of London & Paris
By Iohn Senex, at the Globe against St. Dunstans Church Fleetstreet.
- Online; Map
- 1 map ; 97 x 65 cm. on sheet 99 x 68 cm.
- Mathematical info
- Scale [ca. 1:9,000,000].
- [London : John Senex, ca. 1728]
- Earlier versions of the map carried the names of John Senex and John Maxwell. Statements of responsibility have been erased and overprinted to remove Maxwell's name.
- "Engrav'd by Iohn Senex".
- Decorative title cartouche with figures symbolising the continent.
- H. Hulsbergh Sculp. -- Cartouche.
- The southern portion of the Atlantic Ocean is labeled "The Ethiopic Ocean."
- Dedication: To Edmund Halley. LLD. Savilian Professor of Geometry in Oxford and Fellow of the Royal Society. This map from his own discoveries in gratefull acknowledgment of his readyassistance to encourage this designe is humbly dedicated by I. Senex.
- Shows boundaries, exploratory ship routes, rivers, forests and principal settlements, with notes.
- Relief shown pictorially.
- Number "7" is handwritten in brown ink on verso.
- Cited in
- Shirley, R. Maps in the atlases of the British Library, T:SEN-1d, Map 7.
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Imperfect: several lengthy fold separations.
- Technical details