To Her most Sacred Majesty Carolina Queen of Great Britain, France & Ireland, this map of Europe, according to the newest and most exact observations, is most humbly dedicated
by your Majesties most Obedient Servant Herman Moll Geographer
- Online; Map
- 1 map : col. ; 59 x 96 cm. on sheet 64 x 108 cm.
- Variant title
- This map of Europe according to the newest and most exact observations ...
- Map of Europe according to the newest and most exact observations ...
- Mathematical info
- Scale [ca. 1:6,500,000].
- [London] :Printed for I. Bowles Print and Map seller at the Black Horse in Cornhill and T. Bowles Print & Mapseller next to the Chapter house in St. Pauls Church yard, 1708; Sold by H. Moll over against Devereux Court without Temple Bar and P. Overton Map & Printseller near St. Dunstans Church Fleetstreet and by I. King Map & Printseller at ye Globe in the Poultry,[ca. 1730?]
- Relief shown pictorially.
- Dedicated to Caroline (Princess Caroline of Brandenburg-Ansbach, 1683-1737), Queen of Great Britain and Ireland, and Electress of Hanover, Consort of George II, who ascended to the throne in 1727. Earlier versions of the map were dedicated to Queen Anne.
- The first portion of the imprint, through 1708, is printed inside a cartouche at lower left corner; the remainder is printed in 3 lines below the cartouche, with the 3rd line printed in the border.
- Inset (separate scale): A new draught of ye artificiall channel, and other great works, as dams locks &c. made in order to passage of ships thro the rivers of Ilafla and Camisinca, and to the Wolga...
- Prime meridians: London and Ferro Island.
- Cited in
- Shirley, R. Maps in the atlases of the British Library, Vol. 1, T.Moll-4c, Map 2.
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: "Europe" is written in brown ink on the verso.
- Technical details