- Item Actions
To His Most Serene and August Majesty Peter Alexovitz Absolute Lord of Russia &c. This map of Moscovy, Poland, Little Tartary, and ye Black Sea &c. is most humbly dedicated
by H. Moll Geographer.
- Online; Map
- 1 map : col. ; 62 x 99 cm. on sheet 64 x 108 cm.
- Variant title
- This map of Moscovy, Poland, Little Tartary, and ye Black Sea &c.
- Map of Moscovy, Poland, Little Tartary and ye Black Sea
- Mathematical info
- Scale [ca. 1:3,600,000]
- [London] : Printed for H. Moll between Temple Bar & St. Clem. Church in ye Strand, I. Bowles at the Black Horse in Cornhill, P. Overton over against S. Dunstans Church in Fleetstreet & T. Bowles next to the Chapter house in St. Pauls Church yard and for I. King Print & Mapseller at the Globe in the Poultry.
- Relief shown pictorially and depths by sounds in feet and fathoms.
- Decorative allegorical cartouche with both secular and religious elements.
- Prime meridians: London and Ferro Islands.
- Insets: [Continuation], To avoid too great a contraction of the scale, the north part of Russia &c. is continued here -- The River Wolga from Peter Gorod to where it empties it self into the Caspian Sea -- Asoph or Asof and ye forts, and mouth of ye R. Don or Tanais &c.
- Note: The greatest part of this map relating to Russia is done by the Czar's order, according to ye actual surveys of Cornelius Cruis His Czarrish Majesty's Vice Admiral, John Thesing, Captain Pamburg &c. whereby it appears that all other maps of this country yet extant are very erroneous and defective, and the Czar himself in this noble undertaking was present at ye soundings in in ye Palus Maeotis, and ye Straits of Kafa, which are set down in feet, and those in ye Black Sea in fathoms. NB. This map has all the improvements and corrections of Capt. Iohn Perry.
- Appeared in a previous atlas, ca. 1714, with a variant imprint.
- Cited in
- Shirley, R. Maps in the atlases of the British Library, Vol. 1, T.Moll-4b, Map 13.
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: "Moscovy" is written in brown ink on the verso.
- Technical details