- Item Actions
The south part of Great Britain, called, England and Wales : containing all ye cities, market towns, boroughs: and whatever places have ye election of members of parliament with ye names of ye rivers, seaports, sands, hills, moors, forests &c. All ye great or post roads, and principal cross-roads &c. with ye computed miles from town to town and ye post towns as they are at present regulated by the Postmasters Genl. of the General Post House, according to ye most approved surveys, and accurate observations
by Herman Moll Geographer. A.D. 1710.
- Online; Map
- 1 map : col. ; 60 x 97 cm. on sheet 63 x 104 cm.
- Mathematical info
- Scale [ca. 1:1,100,000].
- [London] : Printed for H. Moll over against Devereux Court without Temple Bar. I. Bowles at the Black Horse in Cornhill and Tho. Bowles Print and Mapseller next to the Chapter house in St. Pauls Church yard, by whom are to be sold thes maps done by ye said Mr. Moll ... ; Sold by Philip Overton Map and Print Seller near St. Dunstans Church Fleet street, and by John King at the Globe in the Poultry, [ca. 1730]
- Relief shown pictorially.
- Advertisement. Having perused Mr. Ogilby's most useful survey of ye roads of south Britain, with his description of its rivers...
- Explanation: great or direct roads, principal cross roads, roads not to be found in Mr. Ogilby's book, computed miles..., cities, Archbishopricks, Bishoprikcs, parliament towns.., port towns or stages on the post roads (Note. This map may be useful without scale or compasses: for ye towns that are not touched by the roads lying near them, their distances may easily be computed by inspection.)
- Map image flanked on both sides by tables of towns and distances.
- Dedication: To the right honourable Francis Lord Viscount Rialton, son and heir apparent of the Right Honble. Sidney Earl of Godolphin &c. Lord High Treasurer of Great Britain. This map of south Britain is most Humbly Dedicated by your Lordship's most Humble Servant Herman Moll geographer.
- Prime meridian: London.
- Cited in
- Shirley, R. Maps in the atlases of the British Library, Vol. 1, T.Moll-4b, Map 16.
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: "France" was written by mistake on verso; it was lined through and replaced with the correct title, "England."
- Technical details