- Item Actions
A map of the country between Albemarle Sound, and Lake Erie : comprehending the whole of Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and Pensylvania, with parts of several other of the United States of America
Engraved for the Notes on Virginia.
- Online; Map
- 1 map : hand col. 60 x 59 cm.
- Mathematical info
- Scale ca. 1:1,300,000.
- London, Published as the Act directs July 13th, 1787 by John Stockdale in Piccadilly, London. 1787.
- Relief shown pictorially and by hachures.
- Prime meridian: Philadelphia.
- Shows state and county boundaries.
- Engraved by S.J Neele No. 352 Strand London.
- "The country on the eastern side of the Alleganey Mountains, is taken from Fry and Jefferson's Map of Virginia and Scull's Map of Pennsylvaniawhich were constructed chiefly on the actual survey; that on the western side of the Alleganey, is taken from Hutchins, who went over the principal water courses, with a compass and log-line, correcting his work by observations of latitude: additions have been made, where they could be made on sure ground."
- From the author's Notes on the State of Virginia. 1787.
- 2 scales: Geographical miles, American miles.
- Map coded for towns, forts, court houses, churches and private dwellings.
- Cited in
- Stephenson and McKee, Virginia in Maps, Map II-23, p. 92.
- Verner, C., Mr. Jefferson makes a map (Imago Mundi, v. 14, 1959), State 2, p. 108.
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS. Area Table 755 1787 Jefferson: Tracy W. McGregor Library, American History Collection.
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: G3790 1787 .J4: Uncolored. With fragile and torn margins, but imprint and engraver's names are present.
- Technical details