- Item Actions
Map of the Vicinity of Yorktown, Virginia, 1881
Smith & Stroup
- Map; Online
- 1 map : col. ; 45 x 67 cm., on sheet 74 x 83 cm.
- Cartographic Info
- Scale not given.
- Philadelphia : Smith & Stroup, 1881.
- Centennial map showing east-central Virginia from Richmond to the mouth of Chesapeake Bay.
- Shows counties, cities and towns, roads, railroads, battle sites, court houses, and natural features.
- A small map of the "Siege of Yorktown" is centered above the main map.
- The map is bordered by a series small portraits (largely Revolutionary War figures) and views of historic buildings, with a larger view of the "Surrender of Lord Cornwallis, at Yorktown ... "
- At least two variants have been identified: In this one, the view of the Washington Monument is not present below the map title, just inside the neat line; there are two portraits of Pocahontas, but the one "with Indian presentation" is the bottom image on the right; the third image from the bottom in the right margin is of Raleigh Tavern; the vignettes of St. Johns Church and of Claremont Mansion are not on the sheet.
- Cited in
- Swem, E.G. Maps relating to Virginia, no. 1387.
- Technical Details