- Item Actions
Map of the vicinity of Yorktown, Virginia, 1881
Smith & Stroup.
- Online; Map
- 1 map : col. ; 45 x 68 cm. on sheet 73 x 88 cm.
- Philadelphia (52 & 54 Nth. Sixth St.) : Smith & Stroup, 1881.
- Centennial map showing east-central Virginia from Richmond to the mouth of Chesapeake Bay.
- Shows counties, cities and towns, roads, railroads, battle sites, court houses, and natural features.
- A small map of the "Siege of Yorktown" is centered above the main map.
- The map is bordered by a series of small portraits (largely Revolutionary War figures) and views of historic buildings, with a larger view of the "Surrender of Lord Cornwallis, at Yorktown ... "
- At least two variants have been identified: In this one, a view of the Washington Monument appears below the map title, just inside the neat line; there are two portraits of Pocahontas side by side in the margin at the upper right corner of the main map; the third image from the bottom in the right margin is of St. Johns Church; the bottom image on the right is of Claremont Mansion.
- Cited in
- Swem, E.G. Maps relating to Virginia, no. 1387.
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Linen backed.
- Technical details