- Item Actions
Potomac River (in four sheets)
from a trigonometrical survey under the direction of A.D. Bache, Superintendent of the Survey of the Coast of the United States.
- Online; Map; Government Document
- 4 maps, on 4 sheets, 99 x 59 cm. or smaller.
- [Washington, D. C., Office of the Coast Survey,] 1862.
- 1. From entrance to Piney Point. . . Triangulation by E. Blunt, R. D. Cutts and J. Farley, Assists. Topography by R. D. Cutts, John Seib, I. Hull Adams, Assists. and S. A. Wainwright, Sub-Assist. Hydrography by the parties under the command of Lieut Comdg. S. P. Lee and Comdr. W. T. Muse, U.S.N. Assists. 59 x 74 cm. (Its [no. 388]) "No. 17" in the upper left corner
- 2 . From Piney Point to Lower Cedar Point . . . Triangulation by John Farley, Assist., Fairman Rogers, Actg. Assist, C. Ferguson and F. P. Webber, Sub-Assists. Topography by I. Hull Adams, Assist., S. A. Wainwright, J. Mechan, Sub-Assists., and C. Hosmer, Aid. Hydrography by the parties under the command of Comdr. W. T. Muse and Lieut. Comdr. T. S. Phelps, U.S.N. Assistants. Redd. drng. by L. D. Williams and A. Lindenkohl. Engd. by A. Maedel, H. S. Barnard and A. Petersen. 59 x 78 cm. No. 21 printed at upper left. Seal of U. S. Coast Survey is printed below the map title. (Its no. 389)
- 3. From Lower Cedar Point to Indian Head . . . Triangulation by C. Ferguson and F. P. Webber, Sub-Assists. Topography by H. L. Whiting, A. W. Longfellow, Assists., J. Mechan, Sub-Assist., and C. Hosmer, Aid. Fairman Rogers, Acting Assistant Coast Survey in immediate charge of operations. Hydrography by the party under the command of Lt. Comdr. T. S. Phelps, U.S.N. Assistant. Redd. drng. by A. Lindenkohl, L. Karcher, and a. Balbach. Engd. by A. Maedel, A. Petersen, and F. W. Benner. 59 x 74 cm. No. 22 printed at upper left. Seal of U. S. Coast Survey is printed below the map title. (Its no. 390)
- 4. From Indian Head to Little Falls Bridge. 99 x 59 cm. H. Lindenkohl & Chas. G. Krebs, lith. (Its no. 391)
- Sheets exist in various issues.
- Sheets 1 to 3 titled as above; sheet 4 titled "Preliminary chart of the Potomac River (in four sheets)"
- Sheets 1 to 3 published at the scale of 1:60,000; sheet 4 is at 1:40,000.
- Chart of the Potamac River from Washington, D. C., to its entrance into the Chesapeake Bay. Chart indicates soundings, lighhouses, and the shore line configuration.
- Some sheets verified by J.E. Hilgard.
- Cited in
- LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 35.2
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Imperfect: Upper portion of Sheet 4, containing the city of Washington D.C., is wanting. All sheets are linen-backed.
- Technical details