- Item Actions
An Historical Map of the Roman Empire and the Neighbouring Barbarous Nations: To the Year of Our Lord Four Hundred When the Empire Began to Be Rent With Foreign Invasions
by Monsieur William Del Isle, member of and Geographer to the Academy Royall of Sciences at Paris, 1709
- Map; Online
- 1 map : col. ; 48 x 117 cm.
- Variant Title
- Theatrum historicum ad annum Christi quadringentesimum, in quo tum Imperii Romani tum Barbarorum circum incolentium status ob oculosponitur pars occidentalis
- Cartographic Info
- Scale [ca. 1:8 000 000]
- London : Printed for H. Moll Geographer ; Tho. Bowles Printseller in St. Pauls Church Yard; John Bowles Printseller at the Black Horse in Cornhill... ; Phillip Overton at ye white horse in Fleet Street; and Iohn King Map and Print Seller at the Globe in the Poultry... , [ca. 1730?]
- Includes insets of the Western and Eastern Hemispheres. The imprint has been printed over earlier erased text to the left and immediately below the inset of the Eastern Hemisphere.
- Map of Europe, North Africa and parts of the Middle East.
- Relief is shown pictorially.
- Quotations and comments on map in Latin and English.
- Scales given in Roman, Greek, French and Parasangae measures.
- Parallel Latin title in separate cartouche at upper left: Theatrum historicum ad annum Christi quadringentesimum, in quo tum Imperii Romani tum Barbarorum circum incolentium status ob oculosponitur pars occidentalis. Autore Guillelmo Del'Isle......
- "The original of this map ... being very scarce by reason of ye present war ... I have at ye desire of some of the highest Quality made a coppy of it ... " -- In a small box to the left of the English title cartouche.
- Appeared in Moll's World displayed.
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS. Imperfect: Margins are chipped; verso is soiled.
- Technical Details