- Item Actions
A map of the state of Virginia : constructed in conformity to law from the late surveys authorized by the Legislature and other original and authentic documents, by Herman Böÿe
- Online; Map
- 1 map on 9 sheets : col. ; 237 x 154 cm, sheets 52 x 78 cm.
- Mathematical info
- Scale ca: 1:300,000.
- [Richmond, Va. : State of Virginia, 1827]
- "Engraved by H.S. Tanner."
- Relief shown by hachures.
- Prime meridian: Washington.
- Insets: University of Virginia campus in Charlottesville, B. Tanner, Sc.; View of Richmond from the West, J.W. Steel, Sc.
- Inset notes: Steamboat routes, altitudes of mountains, deviation of the magnetic needle, geological remarks, statistical table, geographical positions, relative to the plan maling materials; population table; geological remarks.
- "Entered according to Act of Congress, the 14th day of April 1826, by John Tyler, Governor of the state of Virginia."
- Materials consulted for the production of the map were "principally of the County maps nearly all executed under the direction of the late John Wood."
- "Title writ'n and engr'd by Jos. Perkins."
- Act to engrave the map of Virginia was passed February 14th, 1825. Advertised for sale in the Richmond Enquirer, Aug. 3, 1827 "The new map of Virginia, compiled from actual surveys under the authority of the state, is now published and may be obtained by persons desirous of procuring it, on appliction to Wm. H. Richardson, at the Capitol, in the city of Richmond." -- cf. Swem.
- Cited in
- Swem, E.G. Maps relating to Virginia, 529.
- Local Notes
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Copy 1: mounted as pages (26 x 20 cm.) on 3 sheets of linen, folded.
- SPECIAL COLLECTIONS: Copy 2: Gift of Wm. H. White. 4 sheets, mylared and boxed flat.
- Technical details