- Item Actions
Le Dernier des Injustes [videorecording]
un film de Claude Lanzmann
- Video; DVD
- In 1975, in Rome, Claude Lanzmann filmed a series of interviews with Benjamin Murmelstein, the last President of the Jewish Council in the Theresienstadtghetto in Czechoslovakia, the only "Elder of the Jews" (according to Nazi terminology) not to have been killed during the war. A rabbi in Vienna, following the annexation of Austria by Germany in 1938, Murmelstein fought bitterly with Adolf Eichmann, week after week for seven years, managing to help around 121,000 Jews leave the country, and preventing the liquidation of the ghetto. 2012. Claude Lanzmann, at 87 - without masking anything of the passage of time on men, but showing the incredible permanence of the locations involved - exhumes these interviews shot in Rome, returning to Theresienstadt, the town "given to the Jews by Hitler", a so-called model ghetto, but a ghetto of deceit chosen by Adolf Eichmann to dupe the world. We discover the extraordinary personality of Benjamin Murmelstein: a man blessed with a dazzling intelligence and a true courage, which, along with an unrivaled memory, makes him a wonderfully wry, sardonic and authentic storyteller. Through these three periods, from Nisko in Poland to Theresienstadt, and from Vienna to Rome, the film provides an unprecedented insight into the genesis of the Final Solution. It reveals the true face of Eichmann, and exposes without artifice the savage contradictions of the Jewish Councils.
- Claude Lanzmann
- Release Date
- Run Time
- 250 min.
- In French with optional English subtitles
- Bonus : Galerie de peinture. Photos de tournage. Affiches du film. Biographie de Claude Lanzmann. Film-annonce français. Film-annonce américain. Interview de Claude Lanzmann. Discussion entre Claude Lanzmann et Serge Klasfeld.
- DVD 1 : 1ère partie. DVD 2 : 2ème partie. DVD 3 : les bonus.
- Caroline Champetier, William Lubchansky, director of photography.
- Paris : Le pacte : France Télévisions, 2014.
- 3 videodiscs (250 min.) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in.
- DVD ; PAL ; Dolby 5.1 ; format 1.85 ; 16/9 compatible 4/3.
- Technical Details