- Item Actions
Harry Clarke [videorecording]: Darkness in Light
a Camel production ; director, John J. Doherty ; producer, Catherine Lyons ; written by John J. Doherty
- Video; DVD
- Harry Clarke, one of Ireland's greatest and most neglected artists, created an often bizarre world in stained glass and book illustration. His work is a heady mix of the beautiful and the grotesque, the ethereal and the demonic. Born into the stained glass profession, Clarke displayed his talents at an early age, and in his short life, he created some dazzling works. As a result, he was in demand from churches all over Ireland, Scotland, and England, as well as Australia and the United States. But Clark s artwork took a dark turn and many of his images were deemed obscene. As his imagination progressively leaned to the grotesque, his decadent work met with resistance. In this revealing film, Clarke's tragic story represents a fascinating collision of Church, State and art and one man s battle for freedom of expression.
- John J. Doherty
- Release Date
- Run Time
- 52 min.
- Awards Note
- Winner of the Celtic International Film and TV Festival, 2004.
- Ltd. 1st ed
- Camera, Steve O'Reilly ; editor, Declan McGrath ; music, Gerard Meaney, Cyril Dunnion.
- Dublin, Ireland : Camel Productions, 2003.
- 1 videodisc (52 min.) : color with black and white sequences ; 4 3/4 in.
- DVD, region 0.
- Technical Details