Heart of the sea [videorecording] : Kapolioka'ehukai
co-production of Swell Cinema with KHET ; produced in association with Pacific Islanders in Communications and Indepenedent Television Services ; funding provided by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting ; created by Lisa Denker and Charlotte Lagarde ; directors, Lisa Denker and Charlotte Lagarde ; producer, Charlotte Lagarde.
- Video; DVD
- "Heart of the Sea" is the inspiring portrait of surf legend Rell "Kapoliokaʻehukai" Sunn, founding member of the Women's Professional Surfing Association and one of Hawai'i's most beloved community leaders. While known for her incredible physical power, grace and luminous beauty, it was her generous spirit and relentless works as a youth, environmental and breast cancer activist that made her an icon on the Islands. As she carved a path for women in a sport dominated by men, Sunn tragically discovered that she had breast cancer at the early age of 32. Despite the diagnosis, she continued surfing and promoting breast cancer awareness among native Hawai'ian and Pacific Islander women until her final days. Not only a moving profile of an important figure in contemporary Hawai'ian history, but an important look at Hawai'i as an integral part of America's rich cultural landscape and heritage. "Heart of the Sea" is an essential addition to courses in Asian/Pacific Islander Studies, American Studies, and Women's Health.
- Lisa Denker; Charlotte Lagarde
- Release Date
- Run Time
- 54 min.
- Soundtrack in English and Spanish.
- Variant title
- Film portrait of Hawaiian legend Rell Sunn
- 9781574482843, 157448284X,
- Principal cinematography, Lisa Denker ; editor, Vivien Hillgrove ; music, Miriam Cutler, Shawna Ngum.
- [United States] :Distributed by Swell Cinema,c2002.
- As long as you do not charge admission, public performance rights are included in the purchase.
- 1 videodisc (54 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in DVD.
- Technical details