Chronicle of a genocide foretold [videorecording]
written and directed by Danièle Lacourse, Yvan Patry ; produced by Alter-Ciné, Inc. and the National Film Board of Canada.
- Video; DVD
- Fifty years after the Holocaust, the world allowed another genocide to take place, this time in Rwanda. In April 1994, the international community watched as 800,000 Tutsi men, women and children were massacred under the eyes of UN peacekeepers. Shot over three years, the film follows several Rwandans before, during, and after the genocide. The first part explores two key regions: Kibuye and the Bugesera. The second part focuses on the largest massacre in Kigali and features unique footage shot by a UN peacekeeper. UN soldiers pulled out and victims were left behind. In part 3, the Hutu majority was subjected to crimes perpetrated by the new Rwandan government, led by Tutsi extremists.
- Danièle Lacourse; Yvan Patry
- Release Date
- Run Time
- 141 min.
- Interviews and dialogue in Kinyarwanda and French; subtitles and translated voiceovers in English.
- This disc is a recorded DVD and may not play on all DVD players or drives.
- "With the participation of Telefilm Canada in association with TVOntario with the collaboration of TV5 Québec Canada / The Cable Production Fund"--End credits.
- Originally produced in 1996.
- Related title
- Blood was flowing like a river.
- We were cowards.
- We feel betrayed.
- Awards note
- Best Feature Documentary, 1997 Human Rights Watch Film Festival.
- Blood was flowing like a river
- We were cowards
- We feel betrayed
- Producer, Sam Grana ; executive producer, Don Haig, Yvan Patry ; camera, William Turnley, Serge Giguére, Nick Hughes ... [et al.] ; editing, Nick Hector ; sound, Stéphane Poulin ... [et al.] ; sound editing, Claude Schryer ; original music by René Lussier ; interpreted by Céline Arcand, René Lussier, Jean Derome ... [et al.] ; Rwandan traditional music, Nassan Ganakwere ; English voices, Christian Allard ... [et al.] ; research, Bernard Proulx, Mark Richardson ; translation, Ole Gierstad ... [et al.] ; production manager, Carole Beaulieu ; production assistants, Claude Kambale, Joseph Ntahimana ; post-production services, Grace Avrith ; line producer, Claire Lapointe.
- New York, NY :First Run/Icarus Films,1997.
- Public performance rights secured.
- 1 videodisc (141 min.) : sd., col., with b&w sequences ; 4 3/4 in. DVD-R.
- Technical details