Les Huguenots [videorecording]
music by Giacomo Meyerbeer ; libretto by Augustin Eugène Scribe ; director, Lotfi Mansouri ; produced and directed [for video] by Virginia Lumsden ; the Australian Opera presents ; in association with RM Associates and British Satellite Broadcasting.
- Video; DVD
- Dame Joan Sutherland's farewell performance to the operatic stage, this production captures the horror and tragedy of the St. Bartholomew's Day massacre, as well as the splendor and romance of 16th century France.
- Lotfi Mansouri; Virginia Lumsden
- Joan Sutherland (Marguerite de Valois) ; Amanda Thane (Valentine) ; Suzanne Johnston (Urbain) ; Anson Austin (Raoul de Nangis) ; John Pringle (Count de Nevers) ; Clifford Grant (Marcel) ; John Wegner (Count de Saint Bris) ; David Collins-White, Kerry Henderson, Neil Kirkby, Lindsay Gaffney, David Lemke, Kirsti Harms, Joanna Cole, Kerry Elizabeth Brown, Genevieve Killalea, Sergei Baigildin, Marjory McKay, Jennifer Bermingham, Neville Wilkie, David Hibbard, Stephen Bennett, Greg Scott, supporting soloists ; Australian Opera Chorus ; Australian Opera & Ballet Orchestra ; The Australian Opera Dance Ensemble ; Richard Bonynge, conductor.
- Release Date
- Run Time
- 200 min.
- Sung in French, with English subtitles.
- Opera in 5 acts.
- Variant title
- At head of title:
- Joan Sutherland's gala farewell
- End credits:
- Dame Joan Sutherland's gala farewell
- 0769700292, 9780769700298,
- Choreographer, Lois Strike ; set designer, John Stoddart ; costume designer, Michael Stennett ; lighting designer, Derek Coutts ; camera, Michael Turski ... [et al.] ; associate producer, Tricia Canavan ; executive producer, Peter Butler.
- West Long Branch, NJ :Kultur,[200-?]
- Recording information
- Originally produced in 1990 at the Sydney Opera House.
- Publisher no.
- D0029 Kultur
- 1 videodiscs (200 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 chapter guide ( p. : col. ill. ; 19 cm.) DVD video; Dolby digital.
- Technical details