Who's working for whom? [videorecording] : commercialization of biomedical research and education
[presented by] the University of Virginia School of Medicine.
- DVD; Video
- Patricia M. Tereskerz, J.D., Ph.D. (Center for Biomedical Ethics and Humanities Research Director, Program in Ethics and Policy in Healthcare Chair, University of Virginia Conflicts of Interest Committee) defined and outlined the problems of conflicts of interest in academic medicine and industry. Madaline B. Harrison, M.D. (Professor, Department of Neurology Chair, ADE Working Group on Industry and Medical Education Chair, Subcommittee on Education, School of Medicine Conflict of Interest Task Force, University of Virginia) expanded upon conflicts of interest by addressing the problems in medical education, professional values, promotional activities, functional anatomy of reward, behavioral economics, and policy ramifications. Erik L. Hewlett, M.D. (Professor or Medicine and Pharmacology; Senior Associate Dean for Research; Chair, Board of Directors, University of Virginia Patent Foundation) addressed conflicts of interest in the realm of consulting and research focusing on multiple levels of relationships.
- Panelists:Patricia M. Tereskerz, Madaline B. Harrison, Erik L. Hewlett; Moderator, Julia E. Connelly.
- Release Date
- Run Time
- 60 min.
- Learning Objectives: 1. Appreciate the multiple, often subtle conflicts of interest that exist for faculty in academic health centers -- 2. Consider how individual faculty, as well as the institution, can recognize and address conflicts of interest.
- The Medical Center Hour is produced by The Center for Biomedical Ethics and Humanities, University of Virginia School of Medicine. The Medical Center Hour's website is: http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/him/mch.cfm.
- "Medicine & Society in Conversation."
- Medical center hour
- Series statement
- Medical center hour ; 2/13/08
- Charlottesville, Va. :The University, [Clinical Engineering, Media Production Services],c2008.
- Related resources
- ACCESS TO GENERAL INFORMATION AND UPCOMING SCHEDULE ONLY
- 1 videodisc (60 min.) sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in. + script. DVD.
- Technical details