Medicine in the genomics era [videorecording]
[presented by] the University of Virginia Medical School.
- Video; DVD; Online
- Steven S. Wasserman, Ph.D., M.Ed. (Assistant Dean for Research, School of Medicine, University of Virginia) introduced this sixth annual medical student research symposium with brief remarks. Stephen S. Rich, Ph.D. (Harrison Professor of Public Health Sciences; Professor, Department of Medicine (Cardiovascular Sciences) and Director, Center for Public Health Genomics, University of Virginia) discussed the complex interactions of genetics and environment in disease expression and how alot has been learned by studying Type 1 Diabetes and Huntington's Disease. Dr. Rich traced the timeline of molecular genetics from the single nucleotide polymorphism to recombination hotspots and ended with the potential future applications of genomic research (e.g. pharmacogenomics) and the development of disease pathways.
- Panelists: Stephen S. Rich; Moderator, Julia E. Connelly.
- Release Date
- Run Time
- 60 min.
- Learning Objectives: Discuss the potential impact of genomics on medical care -- 2. Describe several diseases where genomics is informing research investigations.
- The Medical Center Hour is produced by The Center for Biomedical Ethics and Humanities, University of Virginia School of Medicine. The Medical Center Hour's website is: http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/him/mch.cfm.
- "Medicine & Society in Conversation."
- "Co-presented with the Office for Research of the UVA School of Medicine" -- from program flyer
- At head of title: "The Sixth Annual Medical Student Research Symposium" -- from program flyer
- Local Notes
- HEALTH SCIENCES: Rare copy located in Ivy Box H34-14B
- Medical center hour
- Series statement
- Medical center hour ; 10/31/07
- Charlottesville, Va. :The University, [Clinical Engineering, Media Production Services],c2007.
- Related resources
- ACCESS TO GENERAL INFORMATION AND UPCOMING SCHEDULE ONLY
- 1 videodisc (60 min.) sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in. + script. DVD.
- Technical details