Historic American sheet music [electronic resource]
Rare Book, manuscript, and Special Collections Library, Duke University.
- Mode of access: Internet.
- Durham, NC :Digital Scriptorium, Rare Book, Manuscript, and Special Collections Library, Duke University,1998.
- Access Online
- Digital images of 3042 pieces of sheet music published in the United States between 1850 and 1920 selected from the collections in the Rare Book, Manuscript, and Special Collections Library. The selection presents a significant perspective on American history and culture. The sheet music chosen for digital reproduction represents a wide variety of music types including bel canto, minstrel songs, protest songs, sentimental songs, patriotic and political songs, plantation songs, Civil War songs, spirituals, dance music, songs from vaudeville and musicals, "Tin pan alley" songs, and songs from World War I. The collection is particularly strong in antebellum Southern music, Confederate imprints, and Civil war songs. Piano music includes marches, variations, opera excerpts, and dance music (waltzes, quadrilles, polkas, etc.)
- Title from home page; description based on the display of Jan. 4, 1999.
- Stephen D. Miller, project management, web site creation, database construction, quality control; Lois Schultz, selection of items, indexing, historical commentary; Lynn Pritcher, personnel management; Steve Hensen, project director.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Technical details